Global Futures and Options Volume
FIA compiles monthly reports on volume and open interest for futures and options traded and/or cleared at more than 80 exchanges worldwide. FIA also publishes an annual report on volume trends in the March issue of its magazine. To request these reports, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 466-5460.
FIA Volume Report: Global Futures and Options Volume Rose 2.1% to 21.64 Billion in 2013
Boca Raton, Fla—March 10, 2014—The FIA today released its annual report on global trends in the trading of futures and options. According to statistics gathered by FIA from 84 exchanges worldwide, 21.64 billion futures and options contracts were traded in 2013, an increase of 2.1% from the previous year, but still well below the number of contracts traded in 2012 and 2011.
Futures trading accounted for 12.22 billion contracts, just over 56% of total industry volume. Trading of options accounted for the other 44%. By category, contracts based on equity indices and individual stocks accounted for 11.77 billion, 54% of total volume. Interest rate futures and options accounted for 3.33 billion, 15% of total volume.
FIA Volume Report: Global Futures and Options Volume Fell 15.3% in 2012
Washington, D.C.―March 11, 2013―The number of futures and options traded on exchanges around the globe fell 15.3% in 2012 to 21.2 billion contracts from 24.9 billion in 2011. 2012’s total was the lowest number of contracts traded since 2009 and reflected double-digit declines across Asia-Pacific, Europe and North America, according to statistics compiled by Futures Industry Association.
Volume in the Asia-Pacific region fell by 23.4% to 7.5 billion from 9.8 billion contracts. North American volume fell by 11.9% to 7.2 billion from 8.2 billion contracts and volume in Europe fell by 12.5% to 4.4 billion from 5.0 billion. By sector, contracts based on individual equities fell by 8.4% to 6.5 billion contracts from 7.1 billion; equity index volume plunged by 28.5% to 6.0 billion from 8.5 billion contracts, and interest rate contract volume fell by 16.0% to 2.9 billion from 3.5 billion.
FIA Volume Report: U.S. Futures and Options Volume Fell 13.2% in 2012
Jan-Jun 2012 Volume Trends
Global Futures and Options Trading Climbed 11.4% in 2011
Jan-Jun 2011 Volume Trends
Global Futures and Options Trading Rose 25.6% in 2010
Jan-Jun 2010 Volume Trends -- FIA Volume Webinar (Sept. 16, 2010)
2009 Volume Trends: Decline in the West, Surge in the East
2009 Derivatives Exchange Volume, An Interactive Discussion, March 18, 2010
A webinar presentation by Galen Burghardt, senior vice president and director of research at Newedge, and Will Acworth, editor of Futures Industry, on the global futures and options volume trends described in the March issue of Futures Industry. The webinar describes key themes and analysis based on the FIA's volume data as well as a quantitative analysis of volatility and liquidity trends in the benchmark interest rate and equity index contracts traded on the major U.S. and European exchanges. Participants will be able to submit questions and comments online during the presentation.
Click here for archived webinar recording: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/829860219
Volume Surges Again: Global Futures and Options Trading Rises 28% in 2007
Global futures and options trading up 30.5% in 2003
FIA Annual Volume Survey: World Futures Volume Soars to New Highs... Again